The Lucille Olivier Story

  • By J.M. Morrow Nursing Home
  • 30 Aug, 2017

Live, Love, Learn and Laughter

Lucille Broussard Olivier on the occasion of her daughter Jo Ann's 50th wedding anniversary.
Alton and Lucille on their wedding day on April 13, 1940, and then the celebration of their 50th Wedding Anniversary
Lucille knows how important it is for families to leave their words for the younger generations. It is truly giving of yourself. Lucille knows who her parents and grandparents were, what they did, and what they endured. Sharing this information with her family and now the J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home community and beyond, records history. In addition, it just feels good to laugh when we relive those special family
Alton and Lucille with daughters, Delores and Jo Ann
Lucille has two daughters, Jo Ann Miller and Delores Gresko. Her girls are great about visiting Lucille every weekend and in between. Jo Ann and Delores take turns picking up their mother for overnight visits. There is always laughter when the girls are around. They bring laundry home and Lucille enjoys ironing her own clothes sometimes on those overnight visits. Lucille is a very young 96 year old!

Yes, Lucille was saddened by the loss of her husband, Alton Olivier , of 71 years on January 2, 2012; but, she also grieves the loss of her two sons-in-law, Charles A. Miller and Joseph "Jœ" Gresko , who died in 2016, just 12 days apart. Following in their parents footsteps, Jo Ann and Charlie had been married for 53 years and Delores and Joe were married for 55 years.

Lucille was born in the area of Marais Platte, on Jacko Road. It is now called Sawmill Road. Later, the family moved to nearer to Breaux Bridge and her father became a school bus driver. They moved into a tiny house and later built the family home, which is still standing. It is located on the west side of Bayou Teche on Main Highway in Breaux Bridge.
L-R: Saul's mother ? Champagne and Ona's mother, Celina Blanchard Tabor

Lucille's parents were Saul and Ona Tabor Broussard . They did speak French but mostly, they spoke English to their children. The children were: Myrtle (Mrs. John Fontenot), May "Sister" (Mrs. Oleste Tauzin), Lucille (Mrs. Alton Olivier), Lucy "PooPom," Lucille's twin sister (Mrs. Clarence Broussard), Earl (married Marcelle Mondet) and Hilda (Mrs. Felix Zaunbecher).

Saul Broussard was a property owner, farmer and school bus driver. He took children to school with a mule team pulling the " transfert."  When motorized school buses came into use, Saul Broussard drove one for many years. His first motorized school bus did not have seats that ran across the aisles. The seats were long benches that ran the length of the school bus. There were two pairs of long benches that faced one another with an aisle in between.

Lucille laughingly remembers one year when she and Lucy were in the third grade. The Broussard family had four children in school. Three failed and Myrtle was valedictorian. Lucille remembers she was so scared. They did not want to tell their Poppa. That is when the parents decided to send the children to the parochial school, St. Bernard, in Breaux Bridge. They attended St. Bernard School until the seventh grade and then had to go back to the public school.

Jo Ann remembers that "PaPop," her name for her grandfather Saul Broussard, did not drive the family car to church on Sundays.  He drove his school bus and picked up people all along the way.  After church, he took his friends and neighbors to pick up groceries at a little store in Breaux Bridge.  

Lucille's siblings are listed below with the names their children and grandchildren that she could remember: 

Myrtle and her husband, John Fontenot, had three children:

  • John Wayne who married Carol. They have two children: Candy and Johnette.
  • Janice married Buddy. They have two children: Lance and his sister
  • Da'Jana

May, Mrs. Oleste Tauzin, had four children:

  • Becky, Mrs. Clifford Hebert.  They owned a swimming pool business in Breaux Bridge called Acadiana Pools. Their children are Tony, Chris, Jude and Rusty.
  • Yvonne, Mrs. Cleve Banker.  They live in Baton Rouge. They had three children:  Tabor and twin boys.
  • Elaine lived to the age of 18 months.
  • Lennett married Linda.
Lucy, Mrs. Clarence Broussard, had four children:

  • Erwin married Linda
  • Judy married Randy Anderson
  • Gayle who has a daughter Andrea
  • Mark has a daughter, April.
Earl married Marcelle Mondet and they had six children:

  • Virginia married a Champagne.  They had:  Leah Rivera, Lindsey and Lance.
  • Suzanne married Carl Marks.  They had Lance, Jake who married Lindsay Goulas and Jena
  • Liz married Barry Latiolais and they had Ryan and Sadie, who is an RN.
  • Paulette
  • Earl Jr., "Jay" who married Madelyn Guidry.  They had two children:  Tiffany, the mother of Rider and Aria;  and  Brice.
  • Paul Saul married Andrea.  They have no children.  Paul Saul was a Breaux Bridge High coach.
Hilda, Mrs. Felix Zaunbecher, had five boys and two girls.

  • Thomas married Rosemary.  They have two children:  Jennifer and Michael.
  • Cindy, who is a neurosurgeon, married Dr. Albon Young.
  • Bobby married Jackie. Their children are:  Allison Rader, a pediatrician in New Iberia; and, Anne who has quadruplets.
  • Michael married Debbie and they had thee children: Craig and two others.
  • David married Lynette and they had two children.
  • Karl Zaunbrecher, DVM in Saranac Lake, New York.
  • Julie married Russell Champagne.  She is the principal at St. Genevieve School in Lafayette.  They have three children:  Emily, Marie and Ross.

Lucille also knows her husband's family. Of course, when you are married to someone for over 71 years, you learn all there is to know about your in-laws.

Again, Lucille is a twin and only recently lost her twin sister, Lucy, Mrs. Clarence Broussard .

The Broussard children were helpers in the cotton patch. Lucille recalls a time when a little shower of rain came while she and her siblings were picking cotton. They quit the cotton picking and made their way home. Their mother warned them that their father would not be pleased; but, the children soon went out to the bayou bank which was not far away and spent their time playing. When their father returned from his school bus route, the children were faced with their father and a strap. He did not actually whip them but he put the fear into them. When Lucy, Lucille's twin, saw her father coming in, she grabbed the Bible and her prayer book and started reading. She told the other children: "We better pray."

Another time, the children were hot and fed up with the cotton picking so they broke the green cotton bolls and threw them on the ground so that they would not have to pick the opened cotton bolls. Their father found out about it and he was not happy. He never spanked them and neither did their mother.

Left Picture - Bottom L-R: May, Myrtle, Hilda, Lucy, Lucille. Top L-R: Father Saul with Earl, Mother Ona ~ Right Picture - L-R: Lucy, Lucille, May, Earl, Myrtle, Hilda Mary
The Broussard family raised chicken and turkeys. Jo Ann and Delores remember that one of those tom turkeys was mean and would chase them around the yard. Lucille remembers how they plucked the chickens and prepared meals for the family.

Jo Ann says her grandfather was very loving. She was the first grandchild of Saul and Ona Broussard and she said: "I could do no wrong with PaPop. "He would pay Jo Ann a nickel to sweep the inside of his school bus when she was a little girl of about seven or eight years old.

Lucille said that her father taught all of his children how to drive before they left home. Her mother, Ona, never learned to drive a car but she could hitch the horse to the buggy, load up her children and off she would go.

Lucille recalls boarding a wagon drawn by mules and going to a bal de maison where accordion music was played. This is where they learned to dance. There was no formal dance instruction. Lucille's father driving a school bus had another consequence in Lucille's life. Her father drove people to the Lucaire Guidry Dance Hall in Breaux Bridge in his school bus. Her mother rode along as a chaperone.

Lucille remembers another dance hall was at the corner of East Bridge Street and North Main Street in downtown Breaux Bridge. The dancehall was a large two-story building and the dancing was upstairs. It was very hot and there were no fans. The building is still there.
On one such evening of dancing, Lucille met Alton Olivier who would become her husband. Courting consisted of the boys coming to the family's home.

At one time Lucille recalls that there were three of the Broussard girls with boyfriends who would come courting at their house. One ofAlton's good friends who courted Lucy, Lucille's twin sister, was Wilbert "Wilo" Dohmann, who became Jo Ann's Godfather. "Wilo" was a well-known car salesman in the area. Another of Alton's friends who would court at the Broussard home was Lloyd Olivier, Alton's first cousin, who also came from Arnaudville. He served in Lucille and Alton's wedding. In this circle of friends was Lucille's sister May and her boyfriend and later husband, Oleste Tauzin. On many nights of courting, "Wilo" drove his car and Alton paid for the fuel. The refreshments served during these dates mainly consisted of coffee, lemonade, or water. The couples would sit in the living room or porch and talk.

Lucille and Alton courted for two and a half years before marrying. The marriage did not take place until Alton asked Lucille's parents if he could marry Lucille. Lucille was there too in the room when Alton asked her father. Lucille continues: "My Dad liked Alton. Whenever there was somewhere to go, it was Alton who drove Poppa. I had to stay with Momma."Jo Ann adds that her Dad also drove their great grandfather to the horse races. His name was Adelbert Broussard, a cousin to Beausoleil Broussard.

Lucille's mother did not work outside of the home. Lucille remembers her as an excellent homemaker, cook and seamstress. With six children and a home to run, she was always busy. The only help was the sharecropper's wife who occasionally helped in the house. But, when there were crops to harvest, Lucille's mother would even babysit the sharecropper's children with her own so that all labor could be devoted to the harvest.

Lucille and her twin sister had the responsibility of scrubbing the screen porch. The porch was unpainted and scrub brushes were used. Lucille and Lucy would count the boards and then divide the chore between the two of them. The porch had to be scrubbed until it was yellow. It was very important to Lucille's parents that their children were properly educated. Both Mr. and Mrs. Broussard could read and write. And, all of the Broussard children graduated from high school. Jo Ann remembers that her grandparents knew some things in French. For example, her grandmother called old heavy shoes " de quantier ."

Alton Olivier, Lucille's husband was the son of Lucien "Shobe" Olivier and Bertha Meche. Shobe was the son of Alexie Olivier and his mother was a Robin. They were farmers and everyone who was privileged to share a meal at Bertha's table agree that she was the best cook around. She was also a very good seamstress. Alton learned how to cook from his mother and he enjoyed cooking for his family and friends at home and at their camp. Bertha was the daughter of Horace Meche and Marie Boutte. They were from Grand Coteau.

At this point Jo Ann and Delores decide to "spill the beans." They recount the story of the Boutte family and its connection to the pirate Jean LaFitte. The Bouttes even received oil royalties from the Barataria area.*Jo Ann remembers a story from her great grandmother, Marie Boutte. During the Civil War, the Boutte family could hear the fighting around the Grand Coteau area. The parents had warned the children to stay in the yard but, the warning was ignored. The children climbed the hills around Grand Coteau where the fighting was taking place. When their parents found out about it, they got the beating of their lives. Her great grandmother would say that she would never forget that one.

Alton was one of four children. His siblings were Georgie (Mrs. Gussie Savoy), Maud (Mrs. Arcade Courville) and Remi (married to Louella Lormand).

Alton and Lucille were married on April 13, 1940, at St. Bernard Catholic Church in Breaux Bridge. Lucille believes that she bought her wedding suit from a store in Breaux Bridge. It was a beautiful yet practical pink suit and a beautiful stylish hat which was bought at the same place as the suit. Lucille remembers that her wedding reception was held at her home. Cake, coffee and punch was served. It was a small wedding with only family and close friends attending.

As was the custom at the time, the honeymoon was spent with relatives. Lucille's aunt, Lydia, Mrs. Felix LeBlanc on Bushville Highway hosted the newly married couple for one night. The Felix LeBlanc home was almost directly across the street from the present Carroll and Diane Rivette Knott home. After the wedding, and the one night with Aunt Lydia, Alton and Lucille lived with the Olivier family in Arnaudville.

Alton farmed for one year and decided to try something else. He went to work in Opelousas where he inspected acreage and crops in St. Landry Parish.

Lucille recalls that when she was pregnant for Jo Ann, she did not go to the doctor. Dr. Chatlain came to the house to deliver the baby and "the delivery was nothing." Soon after Jo Ann was born, Lucille got pregnant for Delores. Delores was breeched and that made for a very difficult "feet first" delivery. Lucille feels sure that in this day, she would have had a Caesarean section. After that, she never could get pregnant again. The doctor who delivered Delores was Dr. Tolen. Jo Ann was baptized at St. Bernard where her parents were married. Like her father, Delores was baptized in Arnaudville at St. John Francis Regis Catholic Church.

Later, Alton was a broker of sweet potatoes, cabbage, onions and other produce. He and a cousin Remi Meche and Franklin Wright started the Arnaudville Service Co-op. Lucille states that Mr. Frank Wright was nobody's fool. The two, Alton and Mr. Frank, would travel to Chicago and other cities to broker their produce. When the weevils ended the farming of sweet potatoes in the Arnaudville area, Alton became a salesman for Sammy Broussard Equipment Center where he sold International tractors and later Kubota lawn mowers. Lucille remembers that he loved his Kubota lawn mower and would not let anyone touch that mowing machine. Delores says that her mother use to say that her Dad preferred his Kubota to her.

In addition to being a mother and a housewife, Lucille enjoyed a career at the Darby Store in Arnaudville. Lucille assisted Beverly, Mrs. Joe Darby, who was not only the manager but a good friend. Lucille started work around 1954 and worked at the Darby Store for 20 years. Joe Darby was the son of Jules and Bertha Barras Darby. Lucille also enjoyed Beulah Barras, Mrs. Jules Darby's sister who never married. There were good times and lots of laughter at the Darby Store.** Alton and Lucille enjoyed taking Beulah Barras out to dinner. She also enjoyed going to the camp with the family. Beverly Darby was the Home Economics teacher at Arnaudville High School. Beverly exposed her students to many different things. The FHA conventions were a special experience. Lucille recalls being selected as the FHA Mother one year. She traveled with the group to the Bentley Hotel in Alexandria for the convention.

The Alton Olivier Camp was something people felt privileged to be invited to visit. That Camp came from a one-room schoolhouse which was located between Cecilia and Breaux Bridge on Highway 31, probably in the area of the Cecilia Elementary School. Lucille's father, Saul Broussard, bought the camp and moved it to Bayou Courtableu. Lucille enjoyed the camp and the many fun events that were held there. Lucille explained that it was something that Alton did with a group of men. But, mostly on Sundays, the ladies and children were invited to go too. The camp was a place where the men went to fish and hunt rabbits and deer. Delores states that her father took her two boys, Greg and Danny Gresko, hunting and fishing. That is at least three generations of camping fun. Delores tells of picnic baskets of food including fried chicken, a cooler of drinks and all-day fishing trips with her mother and father and her boyfriend Joe Gresko. There was no beer while on the water. That was one rule strictly followed. But, Delores continues: "When we got back, Daddy loved his beer."

The family was a peaceful and happy one. Although, Delores remembers days when her daddy went into the back yard and shot black birds which he would gather and pluck and then make gumbo.

Lucille tells of trips to New Orleans to visit her mother's mother, Celina Blanchard Tabor, who lived on Iberville Street in New Orleans. That is where Mrs. Broussard grew up and so Lucille would take her to visit her mother. Wherever Lucille went, she brought Jo Ann and Delores with her. The group traveled to New Orleans often. There were also trips to Port Arthur where Lucille's twin sister Lucy lived and also her oldest sister Myrtle, Mrs. John Fontenot. Lucille would bring her mother and also her mother-in-law to Port Arthur. Her mother-in-law had sisters who also lived in Port Arthur. Jo Ann and Delores were frequent travelers. Lucille was the driver.

Lucille also enjoyed teaching others in the family how to drive. Jo Ann and Delores were placed in the back seat of the car during the many driving lessons. This was before car seats and seat belts. Lucille would bring the student drivers to back roads with little or no traffic. Maud Olivier Courville, Georgie Olivier Savoy and Beverly Meche LaGrange were some of her students.

Everyone who sees Lucille Olivier cannot believe that she will soon be 97 years old. Her daughters complain that people think she is their sister, something that both do not like to hear! When asked about her skin care, she said that she likes Avon Moisturizer. When asked about her habits and why she believes she is in such remarkable shape, Lucille says: "I do not know." What does she like to eat? She quickly answers: "Crab, any kind of seafood, even raw oysters." Her favorite meal would be Stuffed Crab.
Lucille enjoying one of her favorite foods--Raw Oysters!
Lucille use to like to shop but now she does not like it. When her girls were young, she would drive them to Opelousas or Lafayette to shop but not anymore. In the past, there were many vacations which Lucille and Alton and their daughters and their husbands enjoyed.  There are many wonderful memories to share.
Jo Ann and Charlie Miller had two daughters, Charmaine Ann first married Craig Kimball. They had one child, Taylor Kimball. Taylor is the father of Tripp and Tessa Kimball. Charmaine is now married to Kendall Mosing.
Anneysa Lucille Miller Vidrine, Charmaine Anne Miller Mosing with their grandmother Lucille on Jo Ann and Charlie's 50th Wedding Anniversary
Pictured are Jo Ann and Delores as young girls participating in the Yambilee dressed as "Little Bo Peep" pantaloons and all! Also pictured are Jo Ann's girls, Charmaine and Anneysa.
Anneysa Lucille married Thomas Acie Vidrine, who is now deceased. They had three children: Charles Thomas, Isis and Gabriel Vidrine.
Charlie is pictured holding Tripp and Tessa. In center is Charmaine holding her son Taylor Kimball. Bottom left are Isis "Babe", Taylor "Tay" and Charles Thomas "C.T." The children on the right are Tripp and Tessa.
Delores and Joe Gresko had five children:
  • Justine first married Bob Roddie and they had two children: Lauren married Chris Garvey and they are the parents of Harper Rose and Wyatt. Justine's second child is Eric Roddie. Justine is currently married to Wayne Davis.
  • Daniel "Danny" first married Lisa Dore. They had one child, Heather. Heather married Coby Gaspard. Heather is the mother of Addie Bell. Danny is currently married to Sheila Fruge Gresko, daughter of Pete Fruge and Doris Kidder. Danny and Sheila have three children: Blake; Blaire, married to Michael Meche, and they have one son, Nathan Joseph; and Brodie is married to Victoria Lemelle.
  • Gregory "Greg" first wife was Darla Cotner and they had one child, Forest. Forest is married to Elizabeth Padron and they have two children, Logan and Hunter. Greg is now married to Christine "Tina" Lecombe and they are the parents of three children: Madelyne Grace, followed by Hayden John and Ethan Jacob.
  • Seems like there is always sadness. The fourth child of Delores and Joe, was Christopher Alton Gresko. He lived only one day. He was born on November 4, 1969 and died on November 5, 1969.
  • Christie married Jeff Simoneaux. They are the parents of Anna Bella, but, the next child is another heartache. Christie and Jeff's second child was named Jason Cade Simoneaux. He was stillborn but never forgotten. Next came Sophia Cadence and Luke Olivier Simoneaux.
Justine's Family: Eric Roddie and Lauren and Chris Garvey, parents of Harper Rose and Wyatt.
Danny's Family
Greg's Family
Christie and her husband Jeff Simoneaux and their children: Anna Bella, Sophia Cadence and Luke Olivier Simoneaux.
As you can tell, there are lots of males in Delores' family. The following picture shows all of the guys, including those wonderful in-laws.
Bottom L-R: Hayden, Blake, Michael Meche, Luke Simoneaux, Ethan, Joe "Pa" holding Hunter and Top L-R: Greg, Brodie, Logan, Forest, Eric Roddie, Jeff Simoneaux, Danny and Chris Garvey
The Gresko Family with grandfather, Alton and grandmother, Lucille when the family celebrated Lucille's 90th Birthday!
Adjustment to losing Alton is difficult. Lucille says: "You know you will be alone." She was living at home and then pneumonia required hospitalization. When she was released from the hospital, it was necessary for her to go into the nursing home. The illness cause memory loss and she explains that she does not remember the first two years in the nursing home.

Lucille likes living at the nursing home. She is alone in her room and says living at J. Michael Morrow is good. There are lots of activities and Lucille participates in everything. She is very active. Whenever you see Lucille, you will see a smile on her face and a sweet spirit. She is enjoying her life. She has learned a great deal and shares her knowledge and skills with many others. She knows how to love and many have loved and love her. Laughter rang from her childhood until now and it seems to come easy to her, Jo Ann and Delores and all of her family.
This story was written by Betty Arnaud Roy of the Nonco Foundation  and Sandy Esteve.  They are  volunteers at J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home.


*Online research: Just connected to Jean Baptiste Boutte

By user January 09, 2000 at 11:30:49

Just connected and hope someone can share some info with me. I am interested in any biographical data, what link Boutte, Louisiana has to the Boutte family, what connection there is between the Bouttes and Jean Lafitte, the pirate, and what the "oil thing" is about. Can anyone direct me to the answers? Is there anything published?

Here is my Boutte ancestral connection: Myself, Tracey Eileen Garner, md to Jeffrey O. McGee, daugther of Bonnie "Anndora" Reinert and Kenneth Nolen Garner. Bonnie is daughter of Doralice Mary Powell, aka "Tea" and Earl Cosmos Reinert. Doralice is daughter of Marie Doralice "Dora" Boutte and Herbert John Powell. Dora is daughter of Stephen "Richard" Boutte and Marie "Antonia" Barrosse. Richard is son of Francois "Philemon" Boutte and Doralice?? Philemon is son of Jean Phillipe Boutte and Julia Delphine Verloin De Gruy. Jean Phillipe Boutte is son of Jean Baptiste Boutte and Marie Louise Lemelle.


Mrs. Darby was a 1950 graduate of SLI earning a Bachelor of Science Degree in Home Economics, while working part time during summers and semester breaks at Mervin Kahn's Department Store in downtown Rayne. All of these experiences prepared her to be a wife, homemaker, career woman, business partner and a mother of five. Mrs. Darby's first job was as Associate Home Demonstration Agent in Vermilion Parish for the LSU Extension Service. She worked closely with the 4-H program, depending on her education and her experience as president of the Acadia Parish 4-H Club during her high school days. She later transferred to the St. Martin Parish Extension Service and worked in all phases of the 4-H program.

In 1954, Mrs. Darby joined the faculty of Arnaudville High School as the Home Economics teacher and was soon involved with 4-H and Future Homemakers of America, serving as Advisor. She later resigned from teaching and began a full-time career as a homemaker and assistant in the family business, using her background in Home Economics to manage the Darby Store in Arnaudville.

In a 1985 Teche News article entitled "Women can be valiant in God's eyes," she was quoted: "Where there's a will, there's a way. And, as long as you realize your goals and know which ones are important, making God the center of your life, you can manage your home and a career...."

In 2009, Mrs. Darby was honored as Female Citizen of the Year by the Arnaudville Area Chamber of Commerce, a well-deserved honor since she touched the lives of many young women in the area and instilled qualities of leadership, community service and a wholesome outlook on life.

Around Our Home Away From Home, Our Stories

By J.M. Morrow Nursing Home 18 Oct, 2017
Thursday, October 12, 2017, is Movie Time! Once a month, Sandy Esteve and I host a movie. Sandy installs a curtain over the window next to the television. The Activities Directors pop popcorn, lights are dimmed and "My Fair Lady" is on. A whole movie is just too long so we watched the first half in the morning and then it was lunch and nap time. Sandy and I returned at 2:00 p.m. for the second half of that eight Academy Award winner with Rex Harrison and Audrey Hepburn. It was a hit! We are thinking of showing "The King and I" next month; but, one of the gentlemen(?), who is in his 90's, thinks we should show a Playboy flick instead!

On Mondays at 2:30 p.m., it is Bingo time. Usually, there are about 35 residents who play. This week, 38 showed up.  The residents love Bingo and I would think that this is a great activity for senior citizens. Gloria Hebert, one of the regulars, says "Bingo works your mind."

I don't know what prompted me to volunteer to call Bingo; but, I am so happy I did. I love it as much as the residents. Everyone is always eager to start and the Activities Directors tell me that I cannot break the rules and start early. I have to start at 2:30. So, about 2:15 or so, with mic in hand, I start my little program. We pray an Our Father and we recite the Pledge of Allegiance and then, we practice shouting BINGO!! I am old too, I tell my resident friends. My hearing is failing. After I can hear them shouting Bingo! easily, we move on to hand, arm and neck exercises. No, the residents are not eager to exercise but, they put up with me because they love Bingo.

Gloria Hebert plays two Bingo cards--one for herself and one for her husband, Lloyd, who patiently sits next to her. Lloyd has Alzheimer's. He looks as though he is in perfect health and very strong.  After visiting with Gloria following Bingo last Monday, I understand just how damaging that disease can be, not only to the patient, but to the caregiver as well. I recalled Nicholas Sparks' "The Notebook" as I sat chatting with Gloria after the nurse wheeled Lloyd to their room.

Gloria was born in Pointe-aux-Chens, a community in Terrebonne Parish near Montegut. The story of the life of Lloyd and Gloria Hebert  continues:

"My family lived in Houma. We moved there when I started high school. My parents had six children, three boys and three girls. I still have a sister and two brothers who live in Houma. I have one sister who was a French teacher who lives in Alabama. The others are deceased.

"I graduated from Terrebonne High in June and got married to Lloyd Hebert in July. Lloyd was born in Chauvin and we met in high school in the General Science class. I couldn't draw worth a hoot  and  Lloyd did my drawings for me. It was the start of our wonderful life. Through life, dancing was one of our favorite activities.  My dad had a dance  hall in Pointe-aux-Chens.  I was brought up in there and learned to dance at a young age. Seems like Lloyd always knew how to dance.  He and I have danced many a dance, at home and whenever we had the opportunity.  Even now, I dance a bit in our room at the nursing home.
"Lloyd joined the Marines after graduating from high school and was stationed in North Carolina where we lived as newly weds. We also lived in South Carolina before Lloyd was discharged and we returned to Houma. We both went to work in a shrimp canning company in Houma. Lloyd was a Jack's Cookie man for ten years. He was transferred from Houma to Hammond.  At one time, Lloyd and I lived in New Orleans where our two oldest children were born. My dad was an oyster man. Lloyd went to work for him at the French Market. Lloyd would stay there at night and sell sacks of oysters.

"I've been involved with the seafood business for most of my life--first with my dad, and then with Lloyd when he started his own seafood company. Lloyd went into business with Albert "Tubby" Lyons, a man who ran for State Representative at one time. He and Lloyd formed a partnership but when Tubby passed away, his wife took over the business. Lloyd went to work selling oilfield supplies and then after consulting with a lawyer, he decided to open his own company. We rented a building in Moss Bluff for our retail and wholesale seafood business.

"Lloyd did his own cooking. He made, among other things, stuffed crabs, stuffed shrimp, boiled crawfish and etouffees. After we got that running well,  we opened a restaurant in Moss Bluff close to Highway 171. We bought a grocery store and converted it into our restaurant which we named 'Lloyd's Cajun Kitchen.' Lloyd developed his recipes and prepared the food. He cooked everything. All kinds of seafood. At one time, we started with steaks but people were too picky. For one customer, Lloyd fixed three steaks before that customer was satisfied. The next day, we took steaks off the menu.

"The restaurant and seafood business was a lot of work for Lloyd. In addition to all of the regular work, he would drive to Houma to pick up the seafood--oysters, shrimp, etc., he needed.

"I worked in the business too. I did the books and when the restaurant opened at night, I worked the register. Sometimes a member of the staff would not show up and I had to pitch in. Or, the cooks would come in drunk and I would have to help there. I had to carry the trays, did dishes, whatever had to be done, I did it.

"It came a time, a Christmas Eve, when Lloyd called to tell me that he was closing for the holidays. I told him to close the restaurant and leave it closed. I told him he was no longer in a shape to do all of that work. I asked him not to post a date when we would reopen. The restaurant business is very hard work. The crowds were large. The people would stand outside. We would have had to build another restaurant or add on to the one we had to accommodate all of our many customers.  Of course, they were very disappointed when we closed. They wanted us to reopen.

"But, Lloyd had high blood pressure. He needed surgery on his knee that was hurting him.  He was in no shape to be working.  In the end, my sons had to come and help Lloyd because he was in so much pain. I never regretted closing the restaurant. It was enough."
By J.M. Morrow Nursing Home 30 Aug, 2017
Lucille knows how important it is for families to leave their words for the younger generations. It is truly giving of yourself. Lucille knows who her parents and grandparents were, what they did, and what they endured. Sharing this information with her family and now the J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home community and beyond, records history. In addition, it just feels good to laugh when we relive those special family
By J.M. Morrow Nursing Home 18 Aug, 2017

I've been calling Bingo on Mondays at 2:30 at J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home.  It is so much fun for me and the wonderful residents seem to enjoy every minute.  At first, I struggled to hear their "Bingo" calls.  So, on my second visit, I explained that I, too, was old and my ears were not as good as they once were. I asked everyone to shout BINGO!! And, they did. We practiced several times. Next, I told them about my stiff fingers and several admitted that they too had stiff hands and fingers. So, a few hand exercises and stretches (and lots of laughs) followed and then everyone was ready for that first Bingo game.  

But, although I love to call Bingo, today, August 7, 2017,  I had something else in mind. I asked the Activities Directors, Mary and Andrea, if I could visit Lena Miller instead. Of course, they agreed and they happily called Bingo Monday.

Facebook is an amazing way to connect with people. Tracy Petit Frederick sent me a message via Facebook regarding a picture of Cecelia Elementary School children..  Tracy's husband, Craig Frederick, is a nephew of Lena's.  And, Lena and Craig share a birthday, August 10th.  Tracy told me that Uncle Luther, Aunt Anna and Craig were taking Lena to Little Big Cup, a restaurant in Arnaudville, to celebrate Lena and Craig's birthday last week. It would be Lena's 88th!

Tracy said:  "Since she  (Lena) has been in the Nursing Home, we have made an annual tradition to take her to lunch. Her brother Luther and sister Anna come with us and we are occasionally joined by other siblings when they are available."

The contact with Tracy made me want to write the Lena Frederick Miller Story. In addition, Tracy volunteered to send pictures and bio. I was on my way!

On Monday, I walked to Lena's room.  There are two beds in the room. The first bed was empty and a lady slept peacefully in the other. I walked back to the Nurses Station and asked if Lena Miller was in the second bed? She confirmed that was Lena's bed and so I went back and sat in Lena's comfortable chair for about 15 minutes. She did not stir. She continued her soft, easy breathing. I wrote her a note on an Apostleship of Prayer leaflet for August, left it on her bedside table and decided I would have to try again another day.

Several of my friends were sitting in the hallway and I shook hands and got hugs and I just hated to leave. So, I decided to visit with Bertha Powell and Rita Bouterie down Hall A.  As I entered their room, they were trying to open the water pitcher to get ice for their cups. I joined in the action. Soon, problem solved,  I was sitting on Bertha's bed and we were visiting like three teenagers. I took my phone out and showed Rita and Bertha their nursing home website stories and pictures that  Sandy Esteve and I had written and a whole hour passed in friendly conversation and much laughter. I got my goodbye hugs and started down the hall and without thinking I was at Lena's door. She was sitting on her bed.  I introduced myself and soon another hour had gone by.

It is easy and comfortable to talk with Lena. It was like I had known her all of my life. She grew up in Parks, the second child of Arista Frederick and Edia Guidry.  After Lena married Joseph Miller, they continued to live in Parks. Some people call Joseph "Joe"  and some call him "U.J." and Lena calls him "J." The couple had two children: Lisa Kay and Lonnie. Lisa, like her parents and grandparents before her, lives in the Parks area. Lonnie and his family live in St. Martinville, but not far from  New Iberia. Lena lovingly sings their praises. She is a much-loved mother, grandmother, aunt, great aunt, sister and friend. She told me she had been at J. Michael Morrow for two years. Then, she said: "Two years here and nine years a widow."

For some, the above words would be uttered with sadness; but, not for Lena Miller. It is evident how much she misses her mother and her husband, a sister, a brother and other loved ones she has lost. But, Lena has courage and she makes the most of her life at J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home. Her family has helped her make the adjustment from home to her "Home Away From Home." They visit and bring her lots of pictures of her loved ones.  Some of the pictures are in beautiful frames on her window sill.  Having those pictures are very important to her and that helps her keep loved ones fresh in her mind. Lena keeps up with her large extended family.

While I visited, I started taking picture off of her bulletin board over her bed and I would ask her to tell me about the person in the picture. One was Lena pictured with Emily and Mary, two of the nurses at J. Michael Morrow. When she looked at the picture, she kissed it. She explained that Emily and Mary had gotten her to walk again after a bad fall and hip injury.  It became necessary for the nurses to bathe her in bed and she was so very grateful.  When I turned the picture over, it was labeled:  "Restorative Grad, 6-16-2016." Lena's courage helps her deal with whatever comes her way, even injuries that require long hours of therapy. 

So, how did Lena meet a boyfriend back in those days? Lena met "J" Miller through a girlfriend. Lena and "J" enjoyed a long courtship. "J" became "Joe" to his Army buddies while he served his country in the Korean Conflict.  When he came home on leave, he wanted to marry Lena; but, she chose to wait until his military service was over.  She doesn't exactly remember the details; but, it was  the custom at the time for the man to ask the father permission to marry his daughter. Lena is certain "J" asked her Dad for her hand in marriage and in a few months, the couple was honeymooning in Port Arthur, Texas. It was the farthest Lena had traveled from home. "J" had a brother, Francis, and his wife Merilla Miller, who lived in Port Arthur and, as that too was the custom, the newly married couple honeymooned with Francis and Merilla.

Tracy wrote this about her husband's aunt: "On May 2, 1953, she married Joseph Miller, called 'U.J.' at St. Joseph's Catholic Church in Parks. She and U.J. lived next door to her parents in Parks."  Tracy explains that the genealogy comes from two other members of the family.  Lena's sister in law Grace, the wife of Steve, and, Lena's daughter Lisa Kaye have done a wonderful job researcing and writing stories about this close extended family.

Lena explains that she was petite and for her wedding, she chose a light blue suit which was purchased from La Parisienne on Jefferson Street in Lafayette. The suit did not open in the middle but was shaped in a large scallop on the left side and had many tiny buttons for a very special look. Her hat was the prettiest she had ever had. It fit Lena perfectly. Most hats were large on her head but her wedding hat was comfortable. There were many beautiful tiny white and pink flowers over the matching light blue hat. Lena is proud of the many compliments she received on her wedding day.  She explained that the hat had cost almost as much as the suit.   

With much enthusiasm, Lena recalled a trip to Nashville, Tennessee! Lena and three or four friends visited Nashville and had a wonderful time. She loves country music and in her lifetime, Lena loved to sing country music. That brought her great pleasure and she lights up just thinking about it.

By J.M. Morrow Nursing Home 07 May, 2017
By Sandy Esteve with Betty Roy

As this is my first interview of a member of the Morrow community, I was a little anxious. But, as I walked into Rita’s room, I was immediately struck by her collection of art work and supplies. Fortunately for me, Rita was eager to share and an easy conversation followed.

Rita was born in New Orleans, July 20, 1941 and lived in the New Orleans area. She had one brother and one step brother. Rita lost her brother Ralph when he was only 36 years old. He was married and had 2 children.
Her mother was Mildred Landry Perez and her father was Ernest Perez. He died when she was only 5. The family moved to Lafayette to be near her mother’s sister and brother.

Rita graduated from Mount Carmel High School in 1959 and then attended USL, now UL of Louisiana, where she met Larry Roberts, who would become her first husband. They married in 1960 and moved to St. Bernard Parish. They had a daughter Karen and four sons, Larry, Harvey, Brian, and Adam, when her husband and the father of her children died.
She later married Oral “Bob” Bouterie and they lived in Chalmette. He was older than Rita and she describes him as a “calm person.” She received her LPN from Chalmette Community College and worked at Chalmette General Hospital and later with doctors.

Later in life, Rita lost her beloved husband Bob, but she stayed in Chalmette.

And then, Katrina happened in 2005. Rita lost everything, but her biggest regret is the loss of her pictures and her family recipes. She moved to Carencro to be near her daughter Karen, a Louisiana State Trooper. After she broke her back, she moved to the J. M. Morrow community.

Rita is proud of all her children. Her son Larry shows horses and customizes living quarter horse trailers in Texas. He lives across the highway from his brother Adam, who works in fencing sales. Another brother Brian is a Marine Corps Colonel and lives in Washington D.C. Harvey lives in Mississippi and works in sales.

Rita has 10 grandchildren, one is only a month old. Rita is still excited about seeing the beautiful baby boy for Easter.

Rita is a gifted artist, and she comes by it naturally! It is in her blood. Her mother was a teacher and an artist who painted. Her mother’s 6 sisters were all artists as well. She likes black and white drawing, but was not formally trained. If you have been fortunate enough to see her beautiful work, you know she didn’t need training. Teaching art here to the residents allows Rita to share her gift of art. In the collage above, you can see pictures of some of her work.

Rita loves to cook and to bake. Her favorite is roast. While visiting in Lafayette, her aunt loved her cooking so much, she would often give her money to go grocery shopping, so Rita could cook for them. Rita enjoys cooking recipes from the Telephone Pioneer Cook Book. Since I worked for the telephone company for 29 years, I am very familiar with the Telephone Pioneer Cook Book. See below.

Rita also misses New Orleans French bread. I know when I will visit New Orleans and I see the New Orleans French Bread, I will always think of Rita Bouterie.

Rita enjoys hand sewing, especially fine handkerchiefs and baby clothes, pictured in the collage.
By J.M. Morrow Nursing Home 04 May, 2017
Alberta “Bertha” Journet Powell has been a member of the J. Michael Morrow Community for a while. Visiting with her made me think about the members who make up a family, how similar we are and at times, we see how different members of the same family can be. It takes all the experiences of our lives to make us who we are and it is up to the individual to choose how to be or how not to be. You can use your upbringing as a reason to do good or an excuse to do bad.

Bertha has chosen to do good. She is a kind, peaceful, smiling lady. I have known her for many years; but, it was when Annabelle “Sue Sue” Richard was Bertha’s roommate that I came to love Bertha.

I visited with Sue Sue and she shared the story of her life. It can be accessed at the following link:

Bertha was there in the room through Sue Sue’s illness and eventual death. I know that she brought comfort and peace to the long days before Sue Sue succumbed to her illness. Bertha says: “Sue Sue was Sue Sue. I can tell you that she suffered.”

Bertha is the daughter of Junior Journet and Viola King. She had seven brothers and four sisters and Bertha loves when the ones who are still living come to visit.

I frequently visit the residents and I bring communion to the residents who are unable to attend the weekly communion services. I never go too long without dropping in on Bertha. I know she misses Sue Sue.

Bertha and I had talked several times about writing her story. I mostly spoke to her in French because I am more comfortable speaking French. Today, I asked which she preferred French or English? Bertha did not hesitate. She told me that she prefers English. She explained that she was born and raised in Opelousas. Since her husband was from Arnaudville, Bertha moved to Arnaudville as a young bride and she soon learned that most of the people of Arnaudville spoke French.

Bertha continues her story but although there are no tears, I sense the telling brings back very sad memories. She was a twin. Bertha was actually named “Alberta.” Her twin sister was “Bertha.” When her twin sister was six years old, she contracted pneumonia and died. Bertha’s mother, Viola King Journet, must have known the sadness the remaining twin felt. She offered Alberta the opportunity to move. 

Alberta had an aunt who had never had children. So that her aunt would not be alone after her husband died, Alberta was told that she could move in with her. Alberta did and enjoyed her days with her aunt who was named Helena King Journet. Like Bertha, her aunt was also a twin. Over the years, the name, “Alberta,” was shortened to “Bertha.”

As a young woman, Bertha and her aunt attended a Catholic church and this is where she met the man who would become her husband. Eventually, he came courting at her home and when Bertha was 21, the couple decided to marry.  Murphy asked Bertha's aunt for her hand in marriage.

Bertha and Murphy “Shorty” Powell settled in Arnaudville. Shorty worked as a mechanic for Russell Olivier’s Garage and Filling Station near the Bayou Fuselier bridge. Bertha worked for Nookie and Florina Tauzin Martin for about 32 years. Nookie has passed away and now, Florina is also a resident at J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home.  Bertha visits with her sometimes. Bertha remembers that when her babies came, she could bring the baby with her to work. Florina’s children played together with Bertha’s.

In more recent times, Bertha worked for Kevin Guidry Original Produce Market on Moss Street in Lafayette. Bertha doesn’t mind keeping houses in top order but she loves to cook. She can cook just about anything. She loves to bake too. Kevin Guidry had a lunch counter and Bertha worked as a cook there for a while. Since Bertha never learned to drive, she had to hitch a ride with another worker.

Murphy and Bertha had two boys, Wilton and Clifton and one girl, Debbie. Clifton suffered a stroke and passed away. Murphy, her husband,  passed away in 1980.

Debbie and Bertha lived together and enjoyed each other’s company. Bertha says: “Debbie was good to me.” At a young age, Debbie had to be placed on dialysis. Once when Debbie attended Mass at St. Catherine of Alexandria Catholic Church in Arnaudville as she did every Sunday, The priest gave Debbie a ride home. He told Bertha that he sensed Debbie was not feeling well. Bertha had cooked and she offered Debbie supper but Debbie said she was not hungry. All she wanted was her grandmother “MaMa’s” picture. Debbie held the picture on her chest and a short time later, when Bertha checked, Debbie had passed away. Bertha says: “My Mom came to get her.”

Wilton is Bertha’s only remaining child. She has many relatives in the Arnaudville area. I brought my copy of the St. Catherine’s Church Directory and Bertha enjoyed pointing out all of her friends and relatives.

At one time, Bertha worked for the Stevens Family who had moved to Arnaudville to open a mobile home plant on Hebert Road. Like many other families, the Stevens loved Bertha’s cooking.

Now, the days at J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home are quiet and pleasant. It is the second time Bertha joined the community. On March 17, 2015, Bertha was admitted due to an illness.  In time Bertha was able to return to her home. A bad fall later that same year, July 30, 2015, brought Bertha back to J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home. Bertha suffered an injury to a leg that is still very painful. Bertha says that the nurses and all the workers are very good to her.  She is quick to add: “But, they don’t cook like me!”

Bertha has truly lived to love and to serve. She now shares a room with a lady called “Rita.” Rita volunteered that she could not ask for a better roommate and I know just what she means. While I visited with Bertha, my friend and fellow volunteer Sandy Esteve met with Rita and Sandy promises that her story will come next.
By J.M. Morrow Nursing Home 20 Apr, 2017
There is a garden in her face,
Where roses and white lilies grow;
A heavn'ly paradise is that place,
Wherein all pleasant fruits do flow.  

                                       Thomas Campion
By J.M. Morrow Nursing Home 28 Feb, 2017
Thursday, February 2, 2017

As I was leaving the nursing home this morning, the administrator, Harriet Lofton, handed me the above picture.  J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home resident Nola LeBlanc is pictured in the Arnaudville High School group.  We are grateful to Nola's daughter, Kathy LeBlanc Hebert, who graciously shared the picture. One of those pictured, Anna Lee Stelly is Mrs. Albert Robin, Jr., and a sister to Jim Stelly, founder of Stelly Construction.  Jessie Lee Lalonde is Mrs. Chester "Doc" Broussard.  Nettie Blanchard married Judge Joe LaHaye and she passed away last month. Two of the names of the guys at the top upper right do not appear.  One is Francis Richard.  The one on the far right is Milton "Mello" Dupuis, son of Noah Dupuis.

Nola moved into the nursing home in the fall of 2016.  From the very beginning, she told me she was relieved to be there.  She is like most Seniors, she does not want to give her family trouble.  When she knew it was time, she moved in and embraced her new life among friends and relatives. 

As luck would have it, Nola has a lovely roommate, Heda Hardy Kidder.  Nola could not ask for a more caring and loving friend.  This morning at the Nonco Apostleship of Prayer meeting, the two ladies sat on the sofa facing me.  It has come to be their spot.  I thought:  "What a team!" They are so lucky to have each other to enjoy events and quiet naps.

Heda has written her memoirs.  If you scroll back to April 1, 2015, in Our Stories, you can read "Heda's Memories of a Stormy Night and more." Thank you, Heda for all that you are and for sharing so willingly.

Nola is the daughter of Daniel Miller and Vonalia Dugas.  Daniel was a brother to Louis Miller.  The Miller brothers lived next door to each other and near both sets of my grandparents, the Arnauds and the Artigues.  I have known Nola all of my life and I remember her stately father dressed in khaki clothing, a wide-brimmed hat and shiny boots coming down our lane on horseback.

The children of Daniel and Vanolia were:  Beaulah (lived only 2 years) Ella, Evelyn (Mrs. Lloyd Arnaud), Wilma (Mrs. Lawrence Richard and grandmother of St. Martin Parish Councilman Daniel Richard, Jr.) Leta, Roman, Aurelia (Mrs. Anthony "Bee" Simon) Mable, Wilfred, Nola (Mrs. Leroy LeBlanc), Wilton and Numa (married to Mary Jane Miller). Nola has two living brothers, Wilfred and Wilton. 

Nola married an Arnaudville man, Leroy LeBlanc, son of C.P. LeBlanc and Elia Johnson LeBlanc. Their other children were Carroll, Howard and Hardy. Nola and Leroy had four children:  Errol, Kathy, Glenn and Michael. I know Nola was an excellent housewife and cook.  She was an expert money manager and they enjoyed many good times in the old days! Leroy was the Godchild of my mother-in-law, Gladys LeBlanc Roy.  The Roy and LeBlanc families shared many enjoyable gatherings.  Nola's son Michael scanned and shared many of the pictures from those "suppers."  I told my husband that it is hard to find one picture where the participants do not have a drink in their hands!!!

Whenever Nola sees my husband Rod "Brod" Roy, she always says:  "Those were the good old days."

Lucy Richard Romero  has been a faithful volunteer of the Nonco Apostleship of Prayer Group.  Lucy is the daughter of Lawrence and Wilma Miller Richard and a niece of Nola Miller LeBlanc.  Lucy states that she and Nola were close in age.  She remembers when she was in high school, she spent nights with Nola and Leroy.  The couple had rented a house owned by George Malorin and located across from the church and near the McKinley home.  What Lucy remembers most is the laughter.  Nola would recount stories and the two doubled over in laughter!

Again, "Those were the good old days."

By J.M. Morrow Nursing Home 09 Feb, 2017
On Thursday, February 9, 2017, Arnaudville native Charles Taylor  brought his Papillon to entertain the residents and guests at J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home.  The AKC states:  "The Papillon is a small, friendly, elegant toy dog of fine-boned structure, light, dainty and of lively action; distinguished from other breeds by its beautiful butterfly-like ears." And Pappy certainly is true to his breed. 

Lori Henderson brought her Chinese Crested named "Elvis" to visit and perform his tricks.  Mostly, he was content to let all of the residents pet him.  He is a very calm dog and he endured Lori undressing him and allowing each person to touch his hairless body.  The AKC states:  "The Chinese Crested is an alert dog that enjoys human companionship. They are funny little dogs that like to please their owners, and upon finding something that amuses you, are likely to do it again to get your attention. Chinese Cresteds are said to be “cat-like” and enjoy sitting in high places, the back of a couch or arm of a chair. Their activity level is medium to high but they enjoy quiet times with their family...."

Artist and shaman Lori and her husband, Tom Pierce, moved to Arnaudville about 11 years ago.  For Lori Arnaudville is her home base as she and Elvis take their van on the road to explore all of the United States.  Lori  brings art and her healing retreats to all who are interested.  Visit her website at  to learn more about Lori.  Tom is the proprietor of Tom's Fiddle and Bow along Bayou Fuselier in Arnaudville just down from Little Big Cup.

Lori led the group in singing "How much is that doggie in the window?"  Mavis Fruge told the group about the different theories of the origin of the  French song " C'est le Hip et Taiau ."  Jenora Miller led the group in singing the song.

The pictures were taken by new volunteer Sandy.  Volunteers are really welcome and appreciated at J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home. 

It was a fun morning and everyone was smiling when our time ended.  Thanks to all who participated.  More picture can be found on the J. Michael Morrow FaceBook page.

By J.M. Morrow Nursing Home 26 Jan, 2017
The residents enjoyed a Terrific Thursday on January 19, 2017, when Dr. Dan Liu, new resident to Arnaudville, came for a second visit to J. Michael Morrow Nursing Home.  This time Mavis Arnaud Fruge invited Dr. Dan and another Chinese lady by the name of Wenjun "Wendy" Duan. Wendy is a Help X Volunteer from the City of Lanzhou, Gansu Province, China.  Dr. Dan taught the residents correct breathing and some Tia Chi moves.  Wendy performed the lovely Peacock Dance.

Jeff Zerangue was late to arrive for the program.  He came to tell me that Leonard and Mickey Angelle needed to see me. I made a dash to their room and was thrilled to learn that Leonard wanted to share his memoirs on the nursing home website.  He also had a copy of the memoirs of Franklin Wright.  I remember Mr. Wright well.  He was my brother in law Richard Fruge's uncle by marriage.  The documents are scanned and links to the memoirs can be found at the bottom of the "Our Stories" page. 

I was happy that Mickey, Mrs. Leonard Angelle, came to meet Dan and Wendy and to participate in the exercises. Some of the residents who participated are pictured below in the collage.  They are:  John Dupuis, Lillie Zerangue, Mathilde Bourque, Lucille Olivier, Ruth Robin, Nola LeBlanc, Jenora Courville Miller, Mina Marks Patin, Mickey Fruge Angelle, Jeff Zerangue and Neva Marks.

Special "Thank you" to Mary Richard and Andrea Phillips, the Resident Activity Directors who are always so eager to entertain the residents and guests.

By J.M. Morrow Nursing Home 12 Jan, 2017
This morning Mavis Arnaud Frugé had a special treat for the  J. Michael Morrow residents.  She invited Dan Liu, a Chinese doctor who currently resides in Arnaudville to entertain. 

Dan has purchased the home of Wivis and LoLo Arnaud on Highway 31 and has lived in Arnaudville for about a year. She has been in the United States for five years.  Her son  is married to a girl who graduated from ULL and Dan proudly walked around with her tablet showing the resident a wedding picture of her son and his bride.  The couple currently resides in Colorado.

With beautiful, graceful hands, Dan played the pipa (pronounced /pee pah/).  The residents especially enjoyed hearing "Amazing Grace" played on a traditional Chinese instrument like a lute that has been popular for over two thousand years.. Please click on the link at the bottom of this article for more information on the pipa.

Following the pipa presentation, Dan performed a beautiful Chinese dance for the residents.  She wore  soft embroidered shoes similar to the ones pictured below.  Dan explained the necessity of stretching and deep breathing to keep the body mobile.  She also volunteered to visit the residents and present stretching and breathing exercises.  She explained that in China, there are no nursing homes.  People retire early in life.  To stay fit, they assemble in parks located in the center of  their towns where men and women exercise.  It is a very slow, controlled form of exercise called "Tai Chi." See the picture below.

JoLynn Northcutt stopped by to meet Dan and to deliver coloring books and colors for our coloring program at the nursing home.  JoLynn is a faithful volunteers who is in charge of the room bingo.

The residents enjoyed Dan and applauded loudly when she picked up her pipa and then gracefully waved goodbye. We are looking forward to seeing her again.
More Posts
Share by: